Summer accidents on the water - safety advice
Thank you very much for the brilliant service, professionalism and caring attitude whilst handling my recent claim.
As the summer holiday season approaches families head to the beach where watersports are often offered.
Last year a number of jet ski accidents were reported where people were jet skiing on holiday.
Today another accident concerning two teenagers on jet skis was reported in national news.
Alexander Harris also represented the family of a young boy killed when a boat collided with him on holiday.
Simon Taylor, specialist injury and illness overseas solicitor offers some general advice to anyone who may be considering undertaking a watersports activity on holiday:
- Take all the necessary precautions and follow safety advice.
- Check that the company you are hiring from is registered and has safety procedures in place.
- Always ensure you have adequate insurance cover in case anything goes wrong.
- Check if there is a lifeguard and a flag warning system in place. If so, make sure that you know what that flag means, especially those that may tell when and where it is dangerous too swim.
- Be aware of the local conditions; tides, winds and currents can even make the safest beach hazardous.
- Ensure that you are aware of any 'zoned' areas that are marked out for water sports.
- If you are going to take part in potentially hazardous sports such as skiing, kayaking, white water rafting or jet boating, follow all the relevant safety guidance.
- Make sure that there are adequate emergency medical facilities on hand, and always check that you have medical insurance which covers you fully in the event of any accident.
This is only general advice. Always seek professional advice. Always check with insurers what you are covered for.
Back to news
If you would like us to provide you with advice with regard to your potential claim, please complete our brief claim form. We will reply to your enquiry within one working day.
Fill out our quick claim form
If you would like to speak to someone directly about your claim, please call our friendly team on:
0870 024 0558